Now, these two heavyweights in industrial gases and equipment are coming together in a mega-merger of equals that will change the face of the industry, globally. Here, we take a look at a selection of other industrial gas highlights and parallels from 1992 through to 2018.
Then and now
Two obvious parallels spring to mind when looking back to 1992, the first of which is tinged with a degree of sadness.
Here, we pay deference to former Air Products chairman and CEO Harold (‘Hap’) A. Wagner, who served in the role from 1992-2000 and would have seen the bustling formative years of Praxair at close quarters in the US, as it strove to grow quickly and engaged in some of its most significant M&A activity in the 1990s.
Sadly, Wagner died on 26th July 2018, at the age of 82 in California.
A neat parallel between 1992 and 2018 can be found in Praxair’s Gulf Coast hydrogen pipeline. One of the first customers on its hydrogen pipeline system was the Motiva oil refinery in Port Arthur, Texas, when it began delivering hydrogen to the refinery in 1992. Since then, Praxair’s system and capabilities have grown significantly and the refinery itself (600,000 barrels per day) has undergone several expansions and it is now North America’s largest.
Praxair expanded its long-term hydrogen agreement with Motiva in January (2018).
A number of gas and equipment companies active in the industry today were also formed in 1992, including:
- Brothers Gas – Established with an aim to become a leading energy solution provider, Brothers Gas Bottling and Distribution Co. LLC, Dubai, was incorporated in 1992 and has not only gone on to realise this goal but also become a provider of total energy solutions to consumers in the UAE and other markets with range of range of products, including industrial gases, specialty and calibration gases and equipment, medical gases, refrigerant gases, additives and specialty chemicals.
- Global Gas Services LLC (GGS) – Established in 1992 by specialising in the supply of LPG, Global Gas Services steadily grew into one of the major producers and suppliers of industrial gases in Oman and the GCC region.
- IBG – Indústria Brasileira de Gases Ltda. (IBG) was founded in 1992 with the objective of offering an independent product and services offering for gas consumers. Still the only fully independent industrial and medical gases company throughout Brazil, São Paolo-based, IBG has successfully developed a strong client base and a number of production units since its inception and today operates a combination of onsite, bulk and cylinder activities in the country, as well as wholesale gas to other distributors.
- INOXCVA – INOX India was formed within the INOX Group, with the value proposition to manufacture high quality cryogenic storage and transportation equipment, available locally at a competitive price. Since its formation in 1992, the INOX Group has continued to flourish and in 2009, acquired a majority interest in Cryogenic Vessel Alternatives (CVA), then the world’s largest manufacturer of cryogenic transportation equipment. Today, INOXCVA (re-branded in 2010) boasts operations across five continents and happy clients in over 100 countries.
- SGD – SGD Inc. was created as a full line specialty gas equipment supplier in 1992 to provide superior service, quality products, and innovated application solutions to science and industry users of compressed gases. Today, the New Jersey-based company continues to grow and broaden its offering, with hot products including gas purifiers, gas detectors, automatic changeovers and its silent safety devices, the Whisper Valves.
- Technifab Products, Inc. – Technifab was founded in 1992 by Noel Short, manufacturing vacuum jacketed pipe, cryogenic components, dewars and precision machined parts. Located in Brazil, Indiana, Technifab employs highly skilled ASME certified welders and fabricators, CNC programmers and machinists.