HyperSolar, the developer of a breakthrough technology to produce renewable hydrogen (H2) using sunlight and any source of water, has announced preliminary results from the past month of testing.

The results demonstrate overall success so far for the durability of the catalyst, and record-breaking stability of the entire device.

As previously announced, HyperSolar commenced performing a series of tests on its proprietary, earth-abundant oxygen (O2) evolution catalyst that previously demonstrated stability under alkaline water for more than 190 hours. During a test that remains ongoing, HyperSolar and the University of Iowa have achieved over 870 hours of stable operation of the proprietary earth-abundant O2 catalyst under alkaline water. Previously, the O2 catalyst was one of the least stable components in the integrated GEN 1 device, a close replica of how a large-scale solar-H2 generator would appear and perform when commercialised. Successful long-term stability of the O2 catalyst approaching 1000 hours will enable highly robust and stable operation of GEN 1 device under alkaline water. GEN 1 is the company’s planned first generation solar-H2 device based on commercially available amorphous silicon triple-junction solar cells.

During testing of the all-in-one, wireless solar-hydrogen device, HyperSolar observed over 100 hours of stable operation under continuous simulated sunlight illumination, establishing what the company believes is a new international record for wireless self-contained solar H2 device. The device produced O2 and H2 until part of the solar cell began to degrade after 105 hours. The team believes it has identified the problem and will implement a strategy to further improve the stability for longer run time.

“We are extremely pleased by the positive results surrounding the stability of the O2 catalyst, a critical component of our design for meeting the efficiency requirements of real world applications,” said Tim Young, CEO of HyperSolar. “We are also encouraged by the initial success of the stability test for the full device. While the device started to degrade after 105 hours, we are confident that we can fix these issues, resume testing, and ultimately demonstrate commercial viability.”