gasworld’s Business Intelligence team discuss how Saudi Arabia is fast becoming the hub for the largest industrial gas plants in the world. 

Last week, Air Products and ACWA Holding announced that they had successfully won a bid to supply a total of 75,000 metric tons per day of industrial gas (20,000 oxygen and 55,000 nitrogen) for 20 years to Saudi Aramco’s refinery being built in Jazan, Saudi Arabia.

This latest announcement follows a continuing trend that has been present over the past five years in Saudi Arabia. The country is fast becoming a hub for some the largest industrial gas projects in the world.

Below, we take a more detailed look at three of the largest industrial gas operations – all located in Saudi Arabia.

Air Products/ACWA Holding - Jazan

Air Products will own a 25% share in the facility once built, with the remaining 75% share owned by ACWA holdings.

Date Announced20/04/2015
Plant Type 6 Air Separation Units
Capacity 75,000 tpd (20,000 GOX & 55,000 GAN)
Location Jazan, Saudi Arabia
Customer Saudi Aramco
Company Air Products/ACWA Holding (25:75)
Plant Builder Air Products
Investment $2.1bn

 

NIGC/Linde - Jubail

In August 2013, Linde was rewarded a contract to build the world’s largest carbon dioxide (CO2) purification and liquefaction plant for Jubail United Petrochemical Company (UNITED), a manufacturing affiliate of SABIC (Saudi Basic Industries Corporation).

Date Announced22/08/2013
Plant Type Carbon dioxide purification and liquefaction plant
Capacity 1,500 tpd (200 tpd of liquid CO2)
Location Jubail, Saudi Arabia
Customer Jubail United Petrochemical Company (SABIC)
Company National Industrial Gases Company (NIGC)
Plant Builder Linde
Investment N/A

 

Air Liquide Arabia - Yanbu

Although this project was not the largest of its kind in the world, Air Liquide Arabia’s two global-scale hydrogen product units signified the company’s largest single industrial investment to-date.

Date Announced13/09/2010
Plant Type 2 hydrogen production units
Capacity 300,000 nm³ per hour
Location Yanbu, Saudi Arabia
Customer Saudi Aramco
Company Air Liquide Arabia
Plant Builder Lurgi
Investment $450m

 

Business Intelligence factfile - Saudi Arabia (2014)

  • Saudi industrial gas market valued at approximately $850m
  • Approximately 50% of the market is controlled by the industrial gases division of SABIC
  • Revenues from supply scheme projects accounted for around half of the total market value
  • The chemical and refining sectors dominated the end-user market (around 80%).

Oil-fuel-refinery-sunset

 

For more information regarding any of gasworld’s Business Intelligence products, or to purchase the full Saudi Arabia industrial gases report, please contact intelligence@gasworld.com or call +44 1872 225031