Air Liquide fined £160,000 after exposing staff to dangerous vapours as worker ‘sawed’ through bottles


Air Liquide (UK) Limited has been hit with a £182,000 ($243,000) court bill after workers were exposed to dangerous vapours, the Stoke Sentinel reported.

The company devised an in-house system to dispose of bottles at its Tunstall depot after failing to arranging for a specialist contractor to handle the disposal.

It involved a man in a bomb disposal suit placing the bottles on to a box and two workers wearing breathing apparatus sawing through the bottles.

But, on 7th February 2015 the two men using the saw were not wearing breathing apparatus when a small amount of liquid spilled out. They were left struggling to breathe and were taken to hospital but did not require treatment.

... to continue reading you must be subscribed

Subscribe Today

Paywall Asset Header Graphic

To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.

Please wait...